Sunday, September 29, 2013

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

Fun facts about this meal...

1 - We ate it tonight.
2 - It is an amalgamation of several different "cheesycreamedchickencrispycilantrotaquito" recipes I've tried on Pinterest ... to which I picked and chose my favorite bits to include in my recipe. Disclaimer -  the no shredded cheese was a divine accident.
3 - Apparently, one of the reasons Aaron wanted to date me was the fact that someone told him I was a good cook. However, when we first started dating, he made sure to let me know which food things he would not be eating. The following items were/are on his list - anything creamy (I mean, seriously. No.), casseroles (um, no.), things with unnecessary chicken (i.e., pizza, most pastas, and some chicken dishes in general), most vegetables, and guacamole (more for me, I say). This dish, which has 1) chicken and 2) cream cheese has now become one of his favorites. I showed him. You're welcome, dear.

Anywho - on to the recipe.

So, I forgot to take a picture again. This is what they look like though. Forgive me? Ok, good.

What you need:
Chicken (we like Bare Chicken breasts, at Target)
1 block room temp reduced fat cream cheese
4 or 5 big flour tortillas, cut in half
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
Juice of 1 lime
Small handful cilantro (the grocery store was sold out, so I used freeze dried)
Dash of kosher salt

What you do:
Pre-heat your oven to 425 and spray a baking sheet with Pam - I like the olive oil kind.
Boil the chicken in a little salt, cumin, and chili powder for 20 minutes. After it cools, shred (not chunk) it.
While the chicken is cooling, combine all other ingredients (other than tortillas, duh) in a medium sized bowl.
When the chicken is cooled, throw it in the bowl too.
Put a really large spoonful on your halved tortillas ... about 1/3 of the way onto the tortilla... tuck and roll the mixture into a taquito shape.
Baked your taquitos for 15-20 minutes depending on how crispy you want them.
Enjoy!!

After trial and error, I finally discovered the 1/2 tortilla method. Per Aaron's review - "it makes them more manageable." Also, it makes them crispier, and I don't feel so bad about eating as many. Because, they're smaller. So .... its not as bad, right?

Most of the original  recipes use 1 cup of shredded cheese. Tonight, I accidentally forgot to add it and didn't realize until I was already two bites in to my taquito. I promise, you won't miss it. But if you want cheesier taquitos, put one cup of shredded cheese in there.

I hope you love these as much as we do. For real, they are so good.

Love!!


1 comment: